Sunday, June 4, 2017

Taco Chicken Salad




We have settled into summer around here with a full dose of relaxation and doing as close to nothing as we can possibly handle. It's about this time every year that I post our summer bucket list, our list of things that help me keep the boys on some structure of routine. But not this year. We're doing pretty much the opposite of that. We're skipping the library summer reading program, we're skipping Kids on Track, we're skipping the list of things to do, and just spending the entire summer chilling out and rolling with the punches.  We do have some upcoming road trips planned and will also be at the base ball field about 4 nights a week until mid-July... but on a day to day basis, we are keeping our schedule wide open for whatever sounds fun that day.

I am in that stage of summer when the grill gets used almost daily and I spend the majority of the day barefoot. I don't like to spend hours in the kitchen because I would rather be outdoors. But I do like to eat tasty, fresh food, grilled when possible. This salad is easy and one that I've been making for years.

Ingredients include:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
taco seasoning
1 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped
2-3 roma tomatoes, diced
2-3  green onions, diced
2 ears of corn, grilled (or cooked to your preference) and cut off the cob
2 cups shredded cheddar
Optional for toppings: avocados, crushed tortilla chips, cilantro
Suggested dressing: equal parts ranch and salsa mixed together

Step one: Chop chicken breasts into bite sized pieces and season with taco seasoning of your choice. If you don't have ready made, chili powder, garlic salt, and cumin will work just fine.  I have a go to recipe I use which you can find here.



Heat the chicken over medium high heat in a couple tablespoons of oil until it's cooked through.


  It's perfect when there's a little bit of caramel color. You can't not try one.


I grill my corn with a thin layer of husks (presoaked in water to prevent grill fires) until the kernels get some color on them. You can read a more thorough description of how I grill corn in a recipe I posted in a couple of years ago.






Chop the lettuce. I'm really into "chopped" salads right now, meaning that everything is cut into bite sized pieces - including the lettuce. 


 I like to assemble this salad in layers. First the lettuce.

Then, the diced tomatoes, which apparently I didn't photograph. Hmmm.

Top it all with shredded cheese, the green onions...


 And then the chicken.


Finally, sprinkle with fresh cilantro, or other yummy toppings of your choosing.


 And that's how easy it is. And so, so yummy.

The added bonus is that the leftovers are just as good.


Happy picnicking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!