Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Jamaican Jerk Seasoning Blend

I was recently looking for something different to season a pork shoulder I had on hand. I have a go-to recipe I usually use (this one from Kevinandamanda.com), but I had just recently used that one for a party we threw and was in the mood for something different.

Enter Jamaican Jerk seasoning. I did a pinterest search for meat rubs which led to a subsequent search for Jamaican Jerk blend. Although there were many variations, they all hand some common denominators like allspice and nutmeg. The flavor, oh my goodness, is so unique, and oh so yummy, and the best part....it's super easy! It has a little spice and a little sweet. A perfect blend. It actually really reminds me of the flavors in Cincinnati Chili (click here for a recipe). My Ohio people know what I'm talking about. There's nothing really like it, but this blend is very reminiscent of those earthy flavors.

First Step: Gather up your spices and herbs.

1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice



Second Step: Mix it all together and store it into an airtight container. That's it!

When I used it, I rubbed it all over the pork shoulder and baked it low and slow so that it created a nice crispy, flavorful crust on the outside. Then I shredded it into a delicious mouth watering pulled pork.


I told you it was easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!