Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Bucket List Update

Our bucket list accomplishments have been a little slow on the uptake this summer just because, well... we sure have been doing a lot of relaxing and non-bucket list things. But we have managed to get a few things marked off.

First thing checked off our list - Making and filling nature journals, inspired by this one that I found on Pinterest. I seriously whipped these out using brown paper bags and my sewing machine during nap time the day before we went camping. Although I planned on the boys filling them up while we were camping, we ended up just collecting all of our nature items and filled them up when we got home.


I basically just cut a bunch of pieces the same length (no measuring - remember I did this during nap time, so perfection was not the goal). I ran a zig zag border around the edges and included a couple of pockets for collecting nature items (rocks, shells, etc.)


 
 I included some crayons and glue stick in the back pocket. We actually ended up using contact paper for pressing the leaves in. I don't have an "after" picture but will try to include it in the next update.

Second - A trip to the farmer's market.
We've been to the farmer's market before - actually, we are fortunate enough to have a little farmer's market right here in our little town in addition to a huge one in Columbia that actually operates year round. For this item on the bucket list, we just stopped by the one here in town and I let the boys pick out some food.


Our favorite? Blueberries! We bought a whole quart and it lasted no more than 2 days in our house. 


Also in our loot - cabbage, insisted on by Eli, tomatoes, 2 HUGE zucchini (my favorite), and a pound of turnips, which as it turns out, was loved by everyone in our family. We roasted them in the oven with some olive oil and minced garlic and boy were they good. I may even try to put them in our garden next year.

Third - With all the rain we've had recently (and tropical depression Bill practically knocking on our door), we've had plenty of opportunities to play in the rain. Just this past weekend, we finally got our yard set up for summer - the garden completely planted, slip in slide in place, and flowers all planted. And then the rain started, and continued, and continued. So when the rain was pouring down, I sent the boys out to play. I have great memories of playing outside in the rain, specifically in South Carolina while visiting my aunt. When it's hot, it's hot, and sometimes a splash in the rain is just refreshing. 


 And it was pouring!



So off we go with our Bucket List. More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!