Sunday, December 14, 2014

Craft Stick Snowflake


This simple craft can be as easy or complicated as you want it to be. It's basically craft sticks (aka Popsicle sticks), hot glue, and paint. Glitter is optional. I first got my inspiration from this site through Pinterest but then I Googled this craft and found a lot more images of different snowflake patterns.

Here is one of our final products, but you can see more of the process below.


 We started with regular and large size craft sticks. Lex made a snowflake that was seriously 1/2 as big as he was. When I had to go back to the store for more, I found these mini craft sticks and bought them for some variety.


So there's really no science here. Find a pattern you like or design your own. I laid them out first, then started gluing from the inside out. Here are some of the pictures we took before things got messy.





Even the "mini" sticks turned into snowflakes that were at least 12 inches each.


Let the painting begin! Because you are painting wood, you may need more than 1 coat. We did 2 coats, but probably could have done another one. We used white, but I would love to do some blue and silver ones too.




While the paint was still wet, we added glitter. I have a long standing rule against using glitter, but we did this craft with one of my students at school, and when we added glitter, it looked SO pretty. So I broke the rule and allowed glitter. And yes, now it's everywhere. All in the name of holiday spirit.

 Glitter.

 Glitter.

 And more Glitter!




This one broke in the middle as I peeled it off the cardboard (the paint stuck). Nothing a little hot glue can't fix.


 I haven't quite decided what to do with them yet, but I do think they will be part of my mantle scape in January. I tried them out just to see how they looked. The camera didn't capture the glitter that much, but I really do like how they look. Lex wants to hang his (the big one) in his room, so we will do that for now.


That's all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!