Wednesday, June 4, 2014

What's Up Wednesday


Well, here we are in the first week of summer vacation. Sigh of relief. It didn't actually hit me that school was out and I could slow down until sometime yesterday. I was still going full speed trying to get everything done that I normally get done in a weekend. Then I went outside with the boys, and stayed there for most of the day. Other than wrapping up a few loose ends at school and a full day training at school yesterday, we have spent most of our time in the backyard. 

Here's what we've been doing.

1.) Bubbles, Bubbles, and more Bubbles. The boys received these bubble guns from a family friend and absolutely love them. Bubbles are such an inexpensive form of entertainment.



2. Dirt Play - Need I say more? Look at these happy faces.



3.) Water play. Last year we didn't have a pool, and just ran the sprinkler for what seemed like hours each day. In an effort to conserve water, we bought this nice 10 foot pool, a perfect size for the boys (and according to the picture on the package, we will fit too.)  I couldn't decide which of these pictures was the cutest, so I posted them all. Sorry.






4.) Cooking - Eli has shown an interest in cooking for as long as I can remember. He's been standing at the stove stirring his own scrambled eggs on Saturday morning since he could see over the skillet. Now that he's a little older, he's almost always by my side in the kitchen if I'm cooking (for a while, at least - I mean, he still has a 2 year old attention span.) Here he is scrubbing potatoes for me and buttering corn.
 
 
Check out Chloe photo bombing the corn picture.

 
 
5.) Playing on the swing set: I'm so happy our house had this when we bought it. I could not begin to count the hours our boys have entertained by this. An added bonus of summer... Since the boys have an aversion to wearing shirts, that means less laundry for me :)
 


6. Indoor Games. In an effort to be constructive on one cloudier day, I got Connect 4 out so I could teach the boys how to play. The teacher in me went to great lengths to show them how to sort out the colors, then I modeled all the different ways to make "4." They listened so carefully and were so patient while they sorted out the colors. When I told them to start, Lex said, "Eli, I have a better idea. Let's make a pattern. Red, yellow, red yellow." Eli said, "Okay. That's a good idea." Lol. So much for connecting 4. They found another way to be constructive. And for the record, they did a very nice job taking turns, and they did make a pattern. Apparently, Mommy needs to back off.



 
7. More Swimming :)





And that's our first few days of summer vacation! Hope you're enjoying beautiful weather too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!