Saturday, June 14, 2014

Caprese Salad with Basil Pesto

Summer Salad Series
Salad #4
Caprese Salad with Basil Pesto
 
 
I love a good Caprese Salad. It's even better in the summer when you can get really fresh ingredients. This salad is a little bit of a twist on the typical Caprese. Instead of a balsamic vinaigrette, this salad is dressed with a basil pesto. I love it with balsalmic, but like this version as well. I was especially excited because we got to harvest some basil from our garden! Eli was my assistance chef and picked off the leaves for me. I adapted my recipe from this one from Closet Cooking.

 



For the actual salad part of the salad, you simply chop up 4 medium tomatoes and dice 1 pound of mozzarella.
. 


The "dressing" for the salad is a typical pesto. If you have a favorite recipe, then by all means use it. Here's what I did.
 
Put the following ingredients into a food processor.
 

1 cup basil (packed)
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds (I always substitute sunflower seeds for the typical pine nuts. They are cheaper and I can't really tell the difference in taste).
1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
3 tablespoons olive oil
  salt and pepper to taste
 

Mix until you have a smooth consistency.


Toss the pesto with the salad until coated. You probably won't need all the pesto to do this so save the rest for a sandwich spread or a pasta dish. Serve right away or let it marinate for a few hours. Either way, it's so refreshing!


Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!