Saturday, May 31, 2014

Watermelon Salad with Balsalmic Vinaigrette

 
Summer Salad Series
Recipe 2
Watermelon Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette


I had my doubts about this recipe (Adapted from here) but boy was I wrong. I would never think to throw onion in with watermelon, soak with balsamic vinegar and it would be as good as this salad is. It is perfectly balanced in every way. The onion cuts through the sweetness of the watermelon, and the mint balances the bite of the onion. The dressing pulls it all together. Now that I think about it, I don't know of any salad recipe with balsamic vinegar that I don't like.


 To make the dressing, here's what I did. It's a little bit different from the original and I cut the whole thing in half (mainly because we had already eaten half our watermelon).

Mix the following ingredients together:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. spicy brown mustard
2 tsp. honey

Mix well and store until salad is prepared



To prepare the salad, cut 1/2 a seedless watermelon into bite sized pieces.

Add in 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped, and 1/3 cup (give or take) diced red onions.


Mix it all together.


 And stir in the dressing. Coat well.


And top with feta cheese before serving.



This would be a good side for any summer entrée, or just a snack, or a super light breakfast or lunch. I hope you try this one. The hardest part is cutting the watermelon (which you will probably be doing at some point this summer anyway), and the rest can be thrown together in 5 minutes. The results are worth it.

Other Recipes in my Summer Salad Series
Grilled Corn Salad with Basil Dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!