Saturday, March 8, 2014

What We Had for Dinner

 
We've had a busy couple of weeks with my parent teacher conferences at school, and a lot of late nights at work for both Jeremy and me. We did manage to pull off some homemade meals though.
 
 
Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Sandwiches
 
These were SO good! I saw a similar recipe on Pinterest and had to try it. It's like a grilled cheese for grown ups (with no cheese). I started with an avocado and smashed it together with a minced garlic clove. I spread that mixture on one side of the bread, and a store bought pesto on the other side (in retrospect, it would have been fine without the pesto, but it did add a punch). I layered turkey bacon and tomatoes on top. For the boys, I left off the pesto and added some cheese. They each devoured a whole sandwich. I grilled them using Earth Balance as a substitute for butter. It's a buttery flavored oil blend that tastes and cooks just like butter. We also used a gluten free bread for Jeremy. This recipe was new to us, but will probably be in our regular rotation of recipes now. Delish!
 
 

 
Pasta with Meat Sauce
 
We found a great gluten free pasta at Walmart that's pretty reasonable. It's made of brown rice, but tastes and cooks just like pasta. This is a meal we thrown together at least a couple of times a month because it's so easy, inexpensive, and we all like it. I always cook my pasta sauce with onions, garlic, and if I have it, a green pepper. It just adds a depth of flavor to a canned sauce. I have, on occasion made sauce completely from scratch but the canned sauce is so much easier in a time crunch. 
 
 

Grilled Steak, Quinoa, and Green Beans
 
Enough Said.
 


Pot Roast in the Crock Pot
 
I threw this in the crockpot on one of the days of my parent teacher conferences so Jeremy and the boys would have a meal ready to go when they got home. I used a roast, carrots, potatoes, onion, and covered it with salt, pepper, and broth. I used to use cream of mushroom soup to make a gravy but that got eliminated with Jeremy's intolerance to dairy. It still turned out really good and everyone ate it up. There were also enough leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day. Gotta love those cook once, eat twice meals.



Hobo Stew

The first time I had this was on a camping trip as a teenager. We got to build our own meal in foil packets, then cooked it over a fire pit. I've made this several times since then, sometimes when we are camping and sometimes at home. Here's how to do it. Lay out large squares of foil. Start with a boneless skinless chicken breast, carrots, potatoes, onions,mushrooms (or whatever other veggies you have). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, or seasoning salt, and top with a drizzle of olive oil. Wrap up the packets individually and put it on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for about 90 minutes. This is another meal that gets devoured by everyone in our family.

So that's what we've been eating for dinner. Have you tried anything new?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!