Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Gluten, Dairy, and Egg Free Breakfast

Our family diet has really changed since Jeremy was diagnosed with food intolerances and allergies. Among the items he can no longer eat are wheat, dairy, and eggs. That initially created a challenge for breakfast, until we discovered this recipe. On weekends, I almost always cook hot breakfasts, and once I started cooking this one, I couldn't believe we hadn't always been eating it. It is so good and meets all the requirements of a good hot breakfast.

I bring you...

Sausage and Sweet Potato Hash

Brown 1 lb. of sausage.

 
While the sausage is browning, prepare the vegetables. On this particular day, I diced a red pepper and 2 green onions. I have also used green peppers, yellow onions, Anaheim peppers, and even jalapenos. I've also used mushrooms, but you don't want to overdo it with those. Too many throws the texture off of the whole dish.
 


Pierce a large sweet potato with a fork, and microwave until cooked through. The really large ones often about 5-7 minutes.  Once cooked through, cut the sweet potato into a "rustic" chop. (I use the word rustic to mean imperfect. It doesn't matter how you chop it, it's going to get mashed into the pan anyway.) You can choose to leave the peelings on or off. I've done it both ways.

 
Add the pepper and onions to the sausage and cook on medium until vegetables are cooked.


 Add in the sweet potato, and stir everything together. I usually turn the heat up to medium-high at this point, so the potato gets nice and browned.

 
Let me tell you, that with these simple ingredients, this breakfast is packed full of flavor. It is so filling and delicious! Top with lots of fresh ground pepper and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!