Sunday, February 23, 2014

What We Had For Dinner

Our dinners this week followed a squash/soup theme, not on purpose, but because those are the types of ingredients that ended up in our grocery cart. I tried some new recipes as well as an old favorite. I didn't get a picture of the night Jeremy cooked dinner (baked chicken and mixed veggies), because I worked late that night, and didn't even think to take a picture of it. It sure was nice of him, though :)
 
This scored low points in the kid department, but Jeremy and I both finished off the entire batch for dinner/late night snack. It is such an easy, delicious, belly warming recipe.
 

 
 
Monday:  Fish with "poor man's pesto" and broccoli.
 
When I don't have the right ingredients for real pesto, I just throw whatever green veggie I have (in this case, kale) into the food processor with garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. I always substitute sunflower seeds for the pine nuts, because pine nuts are expensive, and the sunflower seeds add a similar nutty flavor and texture. Typical pesto also calls for parmesan, but Jeremy can no longer eat dairy, so I just left it out. I roasted the fish with the pesto and had steamed broccoli on the side.
Kid rating: The kids ate their fish without the pesto, but cleaned their plates of fish and broccoli and then had seconds.
 
 
Tuesday: Chili with yummy fixins
 

 
Tuesday was Jeremy's birthday, but we had a busy evening, so I needed a quick recipe. I had some already browned deer meat with onions and garlic in the freezer leftover from a meal last week, so I threw that in a pan with kidney beans, tomatoes, and seasoning. We topped it with pepper jack cheese and sour cream. Jeremy has his own dairy free version of cheese and sour cream. It hit the spot.
Kid Rating: The boys ate it all up!

Wednesday: Jeremy cooked baked chicken and mixed veggies.

Thursday: Homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese and turkey bacon sandwiches

 
I wanted tomato soup and grilled cheese this week, but when we read the ingredients on the canned soup at the store (something we have to do now since Jeremy's intolerant to wheat, dairy, and eggs), we realized that tomato soup has wheat flour in it. I also couldn't find a good recipe that didn't include cream, so I decided to make up my own. It was really good and hearty, but tasted a little like marinara sauce. I will have to play with it a little more before I publish it here.
Kid rating: Loved the sandwiches, ate about 1/2 the soup.
 
 
Friday: Leftovers
 
Saturday: Pan fried pork chops, spaghetti sauce and pesto, and balsamic brussel sprouts.
 
 
 


 
I roasted the spaghetti squash, then used a fork to get the squash out. I just tossed it without about 3 tablespoons of store bought pesto. It was so good. With the brussel sprouts, I cut them in halves, drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and roasted them. The pork chops are just seasoned with salt and pepper. We drove 45 minutes to get them at the most popular meat market around here, and they were well worth it.
Kid rating: Both of them devoured their pork chops and tried the squash and brussel sprouts. Lex ate more of the squash, and Eli ate more of the sprouts (maybe because we gave him ranch as dipping sauce?)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!