Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sugar Cookies


Sugar Cookies
 

I wanted to do some baking during our snowcation, so I searched (Via Pinterest) for a sugar cookie recipe. I came across this little gem of a blog, which touted the “Best Sugar Cookie Recipe.” I whipped them up with ingredients I already had (I love it when recipes are simple).
 
Mine turned out as beautiful as the cookies in the pictures on the original blog, and for the first time ever, they didn’t even get a little bit brown on the bottom.  I will say that mine didn’t turn out as soft as the recipe suggested. They reminded me more of like a biscuit/pecan sandy. But, a really, really yummy biscuit/pecan sandy.  It was a really mild taste, and not at all too sweet. I do think that if I had taken them out just 30 seconds earlier, they would have been softer, so hopefully better luck next time. That aside, I do plan to make these my go-to sugar cookie recipe.
 
Step 1: Mix 1 cup butter, softened with 1 cup granulated white sugar.
Step 2: Mix in 1 tsp. vanilla extract, ½ t. almond extract and 1 egg.
Step 3: In separate bowl, combine 2 t. baking powder and 3 cups all-purpose flour

 
Step 4: Slowly mix dry mixture into the sugar mixture. I was able to mix in about half the flour before it became too stiff and I had to mix it by hand on the countertop.



Helpful Hint from original recipe:  The dough rolls out best at room temperature, so if you need to refrigerate, give it a few minutes before you start to roll it out.


 
Step 5: Roll out the dough to a ¼ inch thickness on a floured surface.



Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. (I took mine out at 7 minutes, because at 6 they seemed too soft. Next time, I’ll take them out at 6 min. 30 seconds.)


Step 6: Cool

Don't they look perfect?


Glaze: I don’t like a lot of icing, so I use a glaze made of milk and powdered sugar. I just add a little of each until it has the right consistency, then spread it over the cookie before adding sprinkles. I like the simplicity of the glaze, but thicker icing would hold up just fine on the cookies as well.
 
Original recipe and images © In Katrina's Kitchen 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!