Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Good Ol' Cowboy Beans

I love it when I see these on the table at a carry-in or barbecue. They are so good and super easy to make. I remember the first time I made these with my mom for our family reunion in Kentucky. The good thing about this recipe is that you can adjust it to taste really easily. Every time I make it, I make it a little bit differently.

Start by browning 3/4 pounds of diced bacon.


Once browned, remove bacon to paper towel, saving a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat in the skillet.

Add about 1/2 a large diced onion to the skillet and cook over medium heat until onions become translucent.


Remove onions from the skillet to drain on paper towel.

Cook 3/4 pound ground beef until brown. Drain in strainer and set aside.

In a crock pot, add the following:
1 16 oz. can pork 'n beans, undrained
1 16 oz. can butter beans, drained
1 16 oz. can kidney beans, drained
1 16 oz. can pinto beans, drained



On top of the beans, add
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
2 t. chili powder
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper


 Stir in the cooked bacon, onion, and ground beef and cook on low for 2 hours stirring occassionally.

Goes well as a side dish with just about anything grilled. Bon Appetit!



No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcome to leave a comment! As always, thanks for reading!